Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thing #6 - Mashups, etc.

I finally (!) figured out how to make a Trading Card using Big Huge Lab. This was a lot more time consuming than I planned on it being. I had in mind that I wanted to try again to use the image of Katniss from the book The Hunger Games that I had trouble uploading from Flickr to
my blog in Thing #5. I really wanted to make a Trading Card of a favorite book character because I would like to have my classes at LJIS do this as a project when they come to the library next time.
Everything seemed to be easy to do and I browsed to the photo I wanted off of Flickr (the one you see at the left). I wrote my description, chose my background and then when I clicked on "Create" - nothing happened! Many frustrating attempts later I figured out that I had not clicked on the picture of Katniss first before I clicked on Create. Whew! I had to remember my Lifelong Learning pledge and not get too frustrated!!!!
I also explored "If you dig straight down, where will you end up?" That's a kid question if I've ever heard one. That one was a lot of fun but not really applicable to the library...
I also looked at Avatar Photo and liked all the different ways you could change a photo.
You could spend hours playing with mashups!

2 comments:

  1. Mashups are awesome! I love the trading card you made for Katniss. I'm a huge fan of The Hunger Games trilogy and I like the idea of using the trading cards to represent book characters. Students could even use them like traditional flash cards to help them remember facts about the characters or story lines. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She "scares" me!! :-)
    I bet you'll never forget that step in trading cards in the future!

    P.S. Be sure and add your hot links to the sites you describe so we can go there and play!

    ReplyDelete