Friday, April 9, 2010

Thing #8

RSS has been really intereting and a little confusing for me. I had added several sites to my Google Reader account last summer when I set it up while doing 23Things the first time. I can honestly say that since school started in August, I haven't checked it once. So.......lots and lots of updates I hadn't read.

This time I decided to concentrate on RSS feeds from websites that were important to me personally. I have added a few but have had trouble adding some that are very mainstream and definitely have the RSS icon. Two that I haven't seen on my Google Reader page are the one for Texas Monthly magazine and the Houston Press. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have added several successfully last night and they appeared on my list instantly but these 2 haven't.

RSS feeds are a great way to keep up with your favorite bloggers - especially good for keeping up with book reviews and new book trailers - I'm addicted to watching book trailers! Some blogs are so 'out there' and weird that it is like you have had to be in on the beginning of them or you just don't get them.....John Green's blog is the one I'm thinking of here. I have enjoyed his books and thought his blog would be interesting but it has not been a good one to read. I think I'm going to drop that one. I have enjoyed Dr. Lesesne's blog and of course, Vaughn's and Dr. Bishop's blogs.

Anyone that works in a school knows that time is in short supply so RSS feeds and your reader are very valuable tools for keeping up with the latest on all types of topics that affect us.

1 comment:

  1. I personally have never understood RSS thru the little orange icon. I simply add sites thru the "add subscriptions" button on my Reader page . Sometimes sites as complex as TX Monthly or Houston Press may take some trial and error to find the right url that actually brings updates to your Reader. But you might try the url method with them.

    ReplyDelete